Re: [ptp-user] PTP adoption

Giuseppe,

I've answered some of your questions below. For the remaining questions, I'll have to defer to others to answer.

On Jun 8, 2009, at 8:33 AM, Giuseppe Fiameni wrote:

Dear ptp users,
I am getting familiar with the Eclipse PTP platform and I would like to ask you some
questions I have not been able to find an answer for.

- I would prefer to employ the remote development tools to directly work on remote projects but there are some aspects of this approach I need a clarification for: - how would it be possible to keep maintaining my source code under a version control
    system (e.g. CVS,SVN) even for remote projects ?

I believe that you should still be able to use CVS with remote projects, but Chris could correct me if I'm wrong. You would first create the remote project, then check out the source files from CVS using "Check out as..." and "Check out into an existing project".

- how much reliable is the RDT server ? how many users do you estimate each server instance might
    be able to support ?
- how much secure can the DSTORE protocol be considered ? would it be secure to expose the server
    on the public network ?

- As far as I understood only the SDM is supported as debugger. Is there any plan to integrate other debuggers such as gdb ? I might suppose that the integration of advanced debuggers (e.s. totalview,
valgrind) can be done using the External Tools Framework.

The SDM uses gdb to perform debugging operations on parallel programs. If are interested in using gdb to debug remote sequential programs, then you might want to look at the remote launch configuration that comes with CDT.

I believe Totalview has already done some Eclipse integration with their product.

- Is there any plug-in which supports the PGI compiler ?

Adding compiler support is not particularly difficult, but I haven't heard of PGI adding support for their compilers.

- The roadmap for the next releases reports a possible integration with LSF. Could you please provide more
information about this ?

At one point Platform Computing were interested in adding support for LSF, but I haven't seen anything eventuate. We will hopefully have support for SLURM in the next release.

Many thanks for your precious help.

You're welcome. Thanks for your interest.

Greg

Back to the top