Re: [ptp-user] How do I set up a machine set?

Dear Beth,

Thanks for the information, but let me explain the situation. This is a
Rocks cluster, and the Rocks distribution comes with openMPI, MPICH, and
LAM. OpenMPI is the default implementation, and, for some reason, it is
installed differently from LAM and MPICH. For instance, LAM and MPICH
have their own installation directories, /opt/lam and /opt/mpich, while
openMPI is all over the place, with the include files
in /usr/include/openmpi and the libraries in /usr/lib64/openmpi. There
is a /usr/share/openmpi/bin64, but it contains nothing but links to one
binary, /usr/bin/opal_wrapper-64. and there is no "etc" associated with
any of these directories, nor an openmpi-default-hostfile (certainly not
in /usr/share/openmpi).

But, if PTP looks for <openmpi-install-dir>/etc/openmpi-default-
hostfile, it must know where to look for <openmpi-install-dir>. Is that
an argument that can be passed to PTP/Eclipse? Is it a parameter that
can be changed from within Eclipse? Is it an environment variable I
could change? Is it a default value I could satisfy?

I can assure you that I know (somewhat) what I am doing, since I am able
to switch at will among LAM, MPICH, and openMPI, and all three work very
nicely on the cluster both when building and when running parallel
applications. This is good, because, unfortunately, individual software
packages that use MPI typically prefer one of the three implementations
at the exclusion of the others.

So, if you could possibly let me know how does PTP knwo what is the
openMPI installation directory, then I could probably figure out how to
get my system to work.

Thank you.
-Tudor