[ptp-user] Some Comments regarding installation instruction

Hello All,
Really I am glad to meet you here,

Ok, lets start,
this is my first time to use MPI on Linux - I have used it before on windows with MS Visual Studio 6.0 , and after some googling on the Internet i found that PTP & Eclipse is the best (free) IDE supporting MPI on Linux. So i started the process of downloading/installing . . . but still did not run any MPI application yet. (on my way)

currently i do not have any problems , but i suffered a lot till i bring them (PTP & Eclipse) up. So i wants to add some notes which may help.

here are some contents of the the page which contains installation instructions: http://www.eclipse.org/ptp/docs/releases/release-1.1.php

Installation

  • If you are using the Linux operating system, download and install either the Sun Java Runtime Environment or the IBM Java Runtime Environment. The version of Java that ships with Linux will not work with PTP. See the Trouble Shooting section for more information.
  • Install Eclipse SDK 3.2.x and CDT 3.1.x for your architecture.
  • Download and unpack OpenMPI 1.2. If you download a pre-built binary for OpenMPI, you MUST obtain the developer version. If there is no developer version available, then you will need to build from source instead.
  • [moustafan] i did not understand the meaning of the developer version. i failed to find any thing on the OpenMPI site titled by "developer version" , so i think they may have changed their web page contents. I have downloaded a version named as: openmpi-1.2rc4r14027.tar.bz2 and i think it is not different than the announced one which is openmpi-1.2.tar.bz2, so i think you should investigate about that.
  • Configure, build and install OpenMPI (if necessary)
    • In the main OpenMPI source directory, run the configure command:

      ./configure --with-devel-headers

      and any other options required for your installation.

    • Build and install OpenMPI using:

      make install

    • [moustafan] actually on the OpenMPI site they saying that to install OpenMPI you should run the fallowing instructions:
      shell$ make all install
    i have tried make install but it fails, so i think we should investigate about that also.
  • [moustafan] also another note (this note is mentioned in the Trouble Shooting sectioon this page), If you installed OpenMPI in another location (non-standard installation. In other words you have used: ./configure --with-devel-headers --prefix=/home/moustafan/myfiles/OenMPI ) then you MUST put in the path /home/moustafan/myfiles/OenMPI/lib in the variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I think point should be mentioned explicitly in "Installation Instructions" section, not only the "Trouble Shooting". the is that if you did not do that the step of running sh BUILD will not generate any files in the folder "bin" which is located beside the file BUILD

  • Test your MPI installation by running a small MPI job.
  • Download the PTP plug-in and unzip (or un-tar) into the same directory into which Eclipse has been installed.
  • Locate the plug-in org.eclipse.ptp .os.arch in the plugins directory, where os and arch correspond to your operating system and architecture respectively. Change to this directory.
  • Run the command:

    sh BUILD

    This should build and install the executables. If you see any errors here, please refer to the Trouble Shooting section below.

  • Start Eclipse. (You may need to use the -clean parameter to force it to recognize new features and plug-ins).
  • Open the PTP Runtime perspective (Window>Open Perspective>Other...). This should automatically select the Open MPI runtime preference and start the runtime service. If you have a problem here, please refer to the Trouble Shooting section.
  • More details on using PTP can be found in Help>Help Contents. Click on "PTP: Parallel Tools Platform ".
[moustafan] i hope that help.

Back to the top