Subject: Re: [ptp-dev] Mars M6 parallel package
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 18:01:42 -0400
From: David Wootton <drwootton@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Parallel Tools Platform general developers <ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I did some testing with this build on Fedora 20 Linux 64 bit and have the following observations. I have not been following PTP development much over the past year, so I may be misunderstanding how some things are supposed to work and don't know how much of what's below is because I did something wrong.
  1. In creating a synchronized project, I opened the new connection dialog. I noticed that near the bottom, the 'Advanced' widget reads 'Advance', not 'Advanced'
  2. In creating a synchronized project (shallow) , I defined a new connection Local for host localhost and using password authentication. I specified the remote directory as the directory containing shallow source on my local machine, since I only have this single machine and accepted the default for the project directory. After I clicked Finish a shallow project was created, but contains only an includes directory and no source files. I tried clicking Synchronize->Synchronize All and that did not update the project. I then tried adding filters to include Makefile and *.c and tried to synchronize again but nothing changed.
  3. I tried deleting the shallow synchronized project and in doing so got a warning that 'shallow' contains resources that are not in sync with '/tmp/ws/shallow'. Press 'Continue' to force delete. I clicked Continue and the project was gone, so I guess it works, but I am confused about why I got the message since synchronization didn't seem to be working.
  4. Then I created a 'Local C' project to continue testing
  5. If errors occur resulting in error log entries, I get some sort of an 'alert' asking me if I want to enable error reporting with enable and disable as choices. However, if I try to click either of these options, nothing happens, as if they are not really active. After seeing this a bunch of times, I was finally able to click 'enable'. I'm not sure why. Maybe I got better at hitting the hot spot in the enable label.
  6. I created a parallel run configuration and selected generic MPICH2 as a target system configuration. If I select local as the connection type, then the resources tab does not have any MPICH2 settings displayed and I cannot run the program without getting errors complaining about incorrect number of processors.
  7. If I select remote as the connection type and select my localhost connection, then the resources tab displays the MPICH run parameters. I specified number of processes as 5, as required to run shallow. When I clicked Run I got two error log entries telling me the server connection does not support the required services and the program does not run. My MPICH is version 3.0.4
  8. I deleted the run configuration and recreated it as an OpenMPI run configuration. I had the same problem with the resources tab where when I clicked local, there were no OpenMPI parameters displayed. If I clicked remote then I did see the OpenMPI options, but when I tried to run the program I got an error message telling me that ompi_info could not be found, even though it is supposed to be in my path. My OpenMPI is version 1.6.5.
  9. I looked at preference settings looking for settings that might be specific to MPICH or OpenMPI and didn't find any. When I exited the preferences dialog, I got another popup dialog about a preference recorder from something called Oomph that I don't know anything about asking me if I wanted to record preference tasks for /instance/org.eclipse.ptp.rm.jaxb.control.core/Log File Path. I don't think I clicked anything in preferences, but the Jaxb preferences was the last active page before I closed the preferences dialog.
  10. Once I set the path to mpi.h in my project preprocessor include path, CODAN seems to work correctly, where I have no red markers in the right margin, popup text for MPI symbols seems to work, popup test for MPI functions seems to work, although that seemed to work before I set the include path, and cross references seem to work.
  11. MPI artifacts seems to work, MPI barrier analysis seems to work, where it reports 1 error at line 88 and 90 in main.c (I think I have one of the buggy versions of shallow)
  12. The parallel debug and monitoring perspectives open. However, when I opened the monitoring perspective I got an error log entry /tmp/ws/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.ptp.rm.lml.monitor.core/monitors.xml (No such file or directory)

That's as far as I was able to get with my Linux testing.

Unfortunately, my time to look at this during the week is limited due to other work commitments. I may have some time to pursue these problems, but not sure how much.

Dave