Re: [ptp-dev] tags / branches for org.eclipse.remote

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Roland,

I’m treating o.e.remote separately from the PTP repo (it may end up being in another project at some point), so I’d prefer to use R tags instead of PTP tags. Yes, R1_1 corresponds to SR1. You can tell which version is in SR1 by looking at the version number on the feature (1.1.0.201409111520), but there is no direct mapping between PTP and R versions. There isn’t an R1_1_maintenance branch because no one (until now) had requested one. The definition of what determines a “new feature” that I go by is if it is substantial enough to require a release review. The proxy support does not add API, nor does it require a release review, so I think it is perfectly acceptable to go into a 1.1.1 release.

It seems to me, that the Eclipse guidelines for version number (and thus release review) are mostly based on the requirements of other code using the API of a plugin. I think this makes it a bit confusing to a user. in my experience, common practice for version numbering of software is that bugfix releases (increase of last segment number) are reserved for bugfixes. Any new behavior is only done in non-bugfix releases. But the Eclipse guidelines focus on the API not on the behavior exposed to the user.
Thus I agree that according to Eclipse guidelines we could easily add it to 1.1.1 but I'm not sure it isn't confusing the user that in a bugfix release some dialog new options. On the other hand we would help Rocky by creating a 1.1.1 release with the proxy before the end of the month.

Roland

Greg