[ptp-dev] Progress Monitors

Hi

I am trying to overhaul the progress monitoring for synchronized projects but
am having trouble. I would like for the task reporting to be recursive. That is,
each function creates its own submonitor and changes the subtask at various
points. These subtasks should be appended to the current subtask of the
parent. However, I can't figure out how to make this work.

The PREPEND_MAIN_LABEL_TO_SUBTASK flag is the closest option I've
found but doesn't really do what is needed. It is also not available for the newer
submonitors, only for the older subprogressmonitors. Additionally, progress monitors
do not have accessor methods for the subtask name or for the parent monitor.

The best solution I have at the moment is to implement a new submonitor class, which
adds these methods but forwards most operations to a normal submonitor instance. (Note
that the submonitor class is final, so cannot be subclassed.)

Before implementing this, though, I wanted to get some other opinions. It seems odd to me
that progress monitors are not recursive, and also that multiple Google searches can't seem
to find anyone else who has ever had this problem. So my intuition tells me that I may be
either missing something obvious, or I'm using progress monitors incorrectly.

Thanks
John

Back to the top