Re: [ptp-dev] ptp_6_0 branch created

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It sounds like you're advocating for a strategy of committing changes to each branch separately, which is what Chris is suggesting. Is that correct? I'm happy to go that way if you think it provides overall benefits.
No. I still think the current merge strategy is still the best. I only wanted to point out that Chris strategy is not inherently a bad idea, but gives problems if mixed with the current policy.
As far as I see it:
Pro: Current policy / Merge strateg. Cons: Chris / Cherry-pick
- One cannot forget to include bugfixes added to the release branch to master
- The history is clearer because commits have the same commit-ID between branches and only appear once
Cons: Current policy / Merge strateg. Pro: Chris / Cherry-pick
- One doesn't have to undo changes when a patch is only meant for the release branch
- One doesn't get Merge conflicts of other people if they forget to merge

Since patches only for the releaes branch are extremely rare, and the 2nd disadvantage doesn't apply if people merge often enough I think the current policy is better.
But the most important thing (and my focus of my previous) email is that everyone agrees to one policy because otherwise you get all disadvantages and none of the advantages.

@Beth: all projects I know use the current policy and not cherry-pick. Not sure specific for CDT.

Roland

Greg
-----

Linus recently had this to say about Git:

You released the Git distributed version control system less than ten years ago. Git caught on quickly and seems to be the dominant source code control system, or at least the one people argue about most on Reddit and Hacker News.

Linus
Git has taken over where Linux left off separating the geeks into know-nothings and know-it-alls. I didn’t really expect anyone to use it because it’s so hard to use, but that turns out to be its big appeal. No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd.

I thought Subversion was hard to understand. I haven’t wrapped my head around Git yet.

Linus:
You’ll spend a lot of time trying to get your head around it, and being ridiculed by the experts on github and elsewhere. I’ve learned that no toolchain can be too complicated because the drive for prestige and job security is too strong. Eventually you’ll discover the Easter egg in Git: all meaningful operations can be expressed in terms of the rebase command. Once you figure that out it all makes sense. I thought the joke would be obvious: rebase, freebase, as in what was Linus smoking? But programmers are an earnest and humorless crowd and the gag was largely lost on them.