[ptp-dev] Deploying Eclipse help on a Web server

On the user call today, we briefly discussed the fact that Eclipse help books can be made available on a Web server, as is done at http://help.eclipse.org

I don't have a lot of experience with this -- just a quick setup in a test environment -- but here are some links.

The Eclipse InfoCenter is run as a Java (command line) application, which runs its own web server (Jetty?) to serve help content from a preconfigured set of Eclipse Help plug-ins.  In production, you would want to put it behind an Apache proxy -- i.e., when Apache gets a request for certain URLs, it forwards them on to the InfoCenter, and then returns its response.  I think that's mostly to isolate the InfoCenter for security reasons (Apache checks and filters the HTTP requests/responses), although I believe Apache's proxy module can do some caching as well, which might give you better performance.  Details of how to set everything up are in the Platform Plug-in Developer Guide:

http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/guide/ua_help_setup_infocenter.htm

Apparently, you can also deploy the information center as a WAR archive and run it from, say, Apache Tomcat, although I haven't tried this myself:

http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/guide/ua_help_war.htm

-Jeff

Back to the top