[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [ptp-dev] [cdt-dev] Screen-cast of Remote Project Prototype Demo
- From: Roland Schulz <roland@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 14:16:02 -0500
- Authentication-results: mr.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of email@example.com designates 10.205.130.1 as permitted sender) firstname.lastname@example.org; dkim=pass email@example.com
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=rschulz.eu; s=google; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=vDdk7A8FVEkJLXOTT/ArB6K/Cw6sutFTQqH50xYe3Jk=; b=L6up936Cpp9bkDx8/VOsJvqFu6OSGDrw4tfdveRzMRQe1W+9EHgeJzDz1SbpUooy57 pt8AfOgMoHhNtNm+KrOoOidR+YC8CCtTzx04qQT09mYJl37nTPspiMPCDDAe6x+r8mpM +7fThNQfJFCZ8GWDj0Tm4Z0ooiD4j2cT0w6IQ=
I was asked during the call for the bug number of problems with the RSE performance related to threading issues. Some of these + other links are:https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=218387
On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM, sami wagiaalla <swagiaal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Here is a summary of the call which was held today regarding the remote
Jeff gave a brief description of the work that he did taking advantage
of RDT to make the Autotools remote capable with minimal changes to CDT
and Autotools. He promised to update the wiki page with more information
about his work.
Doug mentioned that CDT would be interested in simple remote project
support, but that he has not looked at Jeff's changes yet and cannot
speak to the architectural impact of incorporating them into the CDT.
Chris felt that Jeff's work is duplicating what RDT is already doing. He
also mentioned that it may have been a lot easier to create an RDT
Autotools project. Chris's view is that this work does not solve any
problems for RDT other than the UI clutter issue, but he did feel that
the work does have merit. He suggested that the way forward is for Jeff
to do the heavy lifting and coming up with ideas and posting them for
discussion to see what people think.
It was also discussed that while it might be easy to apply this
abstraction to a simple remote project there are a number of challenges
when it comes to doing the same for a synced project. For example the
fact that you need to ensure that files are automatically and
transparently synced before accessing them. One answer to this, proposed
by Roland, was that if the remote OS had some kind of hook to provide
notification when a file changes it can be used to ensure that files
Roland also spoke about the challenges of putting the remote abstraction
at the platform level. He gave the example of how some plugins make file
access in the UI thread, and how that in a remote system with some lag
this will cause the UI to freeze.
For the next step Jeff will post his patches with some additional
information about the design.
Please feel free to reply to this if there is anything I missed or
ORNL/UT Center for Molecular Biophysics cmb.ornl.gov
865-241-1537, ORNL PO BOX 2008 MS6309