Re: [ptp-dev] Merge

On Nov 10, 2011, at 8:41 PM, Roland Schulz wrote:

Greg,

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Roland,

What happens if I do something in master and want to back-port it to ptp_5_0? I currently work in both trees and will need to continue doing this.

It would be possible to back-port using cherry-pick. This of course would negate all the advantages listed and would complicate the history. Also in rare cases (conflicting changes to the same file between the initial commit and the cherry-pick) it could cause additional (unnecessary) merge conflicts.

So it would be advisable to try to always do the bug fixes in the ptp_5_0 branch/workspace first and than merge those into the other. Would that usually work for you? If not why not (e.g. do you think you will forget to do it in the right branch first, or do you not want to switch work-spaces as often, or do you not know before hand whether it should also go into ptp_5_0)?

This will work for bug fixes for a while, but I've already started working on the master branch. If I fix issues or improve functionality while I'm working on master, I need to be able to back-port these to ptp_5_0 if it makes sense. Eventually I'll be working virtually entirely on master, but may want to back-port the odd thing to ptp_5_0 in time for SR2.

That's the way I work now, so I'd prefer not to have to change the way I work just to accommodate the RCS.

Greg

Back to the top