Re: [ptp-dev] PTP 4.0 in Helios Update Site; missing features ?

Thanks Vivian.
OK I found the ptp.build file (Vivian reminded me about http://wiki.eclipse.org/Helios/Contributing_to_Helios_Build)

It contains only these 5, which are the 5 features we can see in the Helios categorized lists:

  <features id="org.eclipse.ptp" version="" repo="//@repositories.0">
    <category href="helios.build#//@categories.7"/>
  </features>
  <features id="org.eclipse.ptp.remote.rse" version="" repo="//@repositories.0">
  <features id="org.eclipse.ptp.etfw.tau" version="" repo="//@repositories.0">
  <features id="org.eclipse.ptp.rdt" version="" repo="//@repositories.0">
    <category href="helios.build#//@categories.7"/>
  </features>
  <features id="org.eclipse.photran" version="" repo="//@repositories.0">
    <category href="helios.build#//@categories.1"/>
  </features>
  <repositories location="http://download.eclipse.org/tools/ptp/updates/helios/" label="PTP updates"/>
</build:Contribution>

It looks like @categories.1 is "Programming Languages" and @categories.7 is "General Purpose Tools" as expected (defined in helios.build file)

I can add the other ones, *but* ....
We have way too many features that I don't think belong at that level of granularity on the Helios Site?

>Looks there are only 5 features specified
OK, but if you un-categorize, 29 of them show up! I'm guessing that the ptp.build file with categories is only used for the categorized list, and everything is in the non-categorized list?

PTP includes a feature (e.g. org.eclipse.ptp.pldt.upc) which depends on the UPC feature in CDT, which is *not* on the Helios site.
Should we start doing what CDT does, put less features on the Helios site than we put on our own update site?
I'm not crazy about this.

...Beth

Beth Tibbitts
Eclipse Parallel Tools Platform http://eclipse.org/ptp
IBM STG Communications Protocols and Tools
Mailing Address: IBM Corp., Coldstream Research Campus, 745 West New Circle Road, Lexington, KY 40511

Inactive hide details for Vivian Kong ---02/04/2010 02:53:40 PM---Hi Beth, Looks there are only 5 features specified in the ptpVivian Kong ---02/04/2010 02:53:40 PM---Hi Beth, Looks there are only 5 features specified in the ptp.build file in

Vivian Kong <vivkong@xxxxxxxxxx>

02/04/2010 02:53 PM

Re: [ptp-dev] PTP 4.0 in Helios Update Site; missing features ?

Sent by:

ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Beth,

Looks there are only 5 features specified in the ptp.build file in org.eclipse.helios.build. The Helios build picks up whatever are specified there so if you want more feature to show up on the Helios update site you have to add them to ptp.build.

Regards,

Vivian Kong
IBM Eclipse CDT
IBM Canada Toronto Lab

Inactive hide details for Beth Tibbitts ---02/04/2010 02:37:45 PM---OK, PTP has finally made it into one of the Helios update sBeth Tibbitts ---02/04/2010 02:37:45 PM---OK, PTP has finally made it into one of the Helios update site builds. Sort of.

Beth Tibbitts <tibbitts@xxxxxxxxxx>

ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/04/2010 02:37 PM

[ptp-dev] PTP 4.0 in Helios Update Site; missing features ?

Sent by:

ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

OK, PTP has finally made it into one of the Helios update site builds. Sort of.

To see it, install Eclipse 3.6M5, e.g. from
http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/

Then in update manager - excuse me - really "p2" (Help > Install new software...) put the following update site in:

http://download.eclipse.org/releases/staging

Note that
http://download.eclipse.org/releases/helios is already in the list, but its contents are old.

I don't think all the pieces and parts are there, however.
Find PTP under the "General Purpose Tools" category
but I only see 4 features there:
1. Parallel Tools Platform End-User Runtime
2. PTP Remote Development Tools
3. PTP Remote System Explorer Support
4. PTP TAU Extension

under "Programming Languages" category I see
- Photran End-User Runtime

If I look in the PTP 4.0 2/02 build update site (from
http://wiki.eclipse.org/PTP/builds/4.0.0) which is the version (4.0.0.201002021202) that's in the Helios build,
I see more than this, but some stuff is still missing.
The main PLDT feature is missing but the PLDT-UPC extension is there
The main ETFw feature is missing but the TAU extension is there.
No resource managers. No ISP.
...etc.
There are (only) 11 features in our site.xml

If I uncheck "Group items by category" I see 29 features, what looks like a more complete feature list.
There is something wrong. There are only 11 features in the site.xml but I see 29 in the update mgr (un-categorized) dialog list.
(It's not caching from the Helios site, I get same behavior in a clean eclipse too)

OK, there is additional p2 metadata somewhere?
Where? I must be missing something.