Re: [ptp-dev] Questions about remote support

Greg
I have it working now. I was getting a message about being unable to
instantiate factory in the error log.

I will look at using IPath objects to validate path names

Dave

Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
10/08/2007 06:05 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject

On Oct 8, 2007, at 4:05 PM, Dave Wootton wrote:

> Greg
> I just updated from head a few minutes ago and now I'm getting a null
> pointer exception (see bottom of this email) when I try to create a
> new
> resource manager. This happens when I open the resource manager
> wizard,
> click PE from the list and click next. This worked correctly this
> morning.
>
> If I updated while you were in the middle of commits, that's fine,
> just
> let me know to try again later.

Can you check the error log to see if there is any message like
'Failed to instantiate factory...'? Also, make sure you updated the
org.eclipse.ptp.remote.rse plugin as well.

> Also, the way my parallel tab works, I have a text entry field with a
> ModifyListener registered, and an accompanying Text field that gets
> filled
> in with a path name. This gets filled in either by the user typing
> in a
> path name or by my code as a result of the user selecting a file
> from the
> file selector, in which case I get the IPath object returned by
> calling
> browseFile, call toString() on that object and then fill in the
> text field
> with that value.
>
> I don't attempt to validate the pathname until the ModifyListener
> registered on the text field gets called, which occurs either when the
> user types in the field or when my code fills in the field using the
> pathname obtained from the IPath object. If the user has typed in a
> field,
> I don't see any way to validate that pathname, since I only know the
> pathname and the remote connection at that point (I don't have an
> IPath
> object).  If I do have an IPath object, because the user clicked the
> browse button, then is the intent I call getResource() to get the
> associated IRemoteResource, then validate using that object?

Yes. I'd like to see if we can use IPath objects rather than Strings
as you get an extra level of validation. You can do something like this:

                 IPath path = new Path(textfield);
                 if (!path.isValidPath()) {
                                 // invalid
                 }
                 IRemoteResource res = fileMgr.getResource(path, monitor);
                 if (!res.fetchInfo().exists()) {
                                 // invalid
                 }

Let me know if that seems ok.