Re: [ptp-dev] Questions about remote support

On Oct 2, 2007, at 5:42 PM, Dave Wootton wrote:

Greg
I think adding browseRe,oteDirectory will solve the dialog problem. I realized while I was out this afternoon that I also need to be able to query a remote path to determine if the file exists, if it is a file (vs directory or something else), whether it's readable, and whethjer it's writable.

Ok, I've added browseRemoteDirectory(). To support these additional tests, I'll need to expose the EFS interfaces. So rather than browseRemoteFile() returning a string, it will return an IFileStore which you can then use to check for existence, etc. This will take a bit longer.

The other question is whether with a remote filesystem, I might have a performance issue, since I'm validating up to 14 file paths each time any widget value changes in my parallel tab. I thought about validating only the specific field that changed value, but the last time I looked at it, it seemed like that would end up being really ugly, with the need for something like a large case statement to decide which field changed value and only validate that field.
Dave

I'd say you're definitely going to have to change your validation to only validate the changed field. In the EFS world you can't assume that resources are local any more, so file operations can potentially take a long time.

Greg

Back to the top