Re: [ptp-dev] Problem with configure scripts and xlc compiler on AIX

It turns out that the reason configure was failing wasn't because xlc was
invoked with --version. It seems that is a harmless error. There was a
later invocation of xlc with the -Wall flag which was the real error. I've
now got the configure scripts working and am able to get far enough along
with a couple stub functions to compile and link my proxy.
Dave

Dave Wootton/Poughkeepsie/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
08/03/2007 02:02 PM
Please respond to

ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[ptp-dev] Problem with configure scripts and xlc compiler on AIX

I'm trying to get the proxy code to compile for AIX, and am unable to get
past the configure step. I ran automake and autoconf before running
configure in the org.eclipse.ptp.utils directory, and also 'export
CC=xlc'. When I run the configure script I get an error telling me the
compiler can't generate output files, and when I look at the log, I see
messages from the xlc compiler that it doesn't understand the --version
option when xlc is invoked by the configure script.

Is there a way to tell configure not to invoke xlc with the --version
option? I'm not very familiar with writing automake and configure scripts,

having attempted it only once before. I tried commenting out the
AC_PROG_CC and AM_PROG_CC_C_O macros in configure.in and rerunning
autoconf to see if that would help, with no luck.

I also tried a google search and found other references to the same
problem, but no solution.

Thanks
Dave