RE: [ptp-dev] integration with other MPI libraries

Thanks for your reply Greg. I saw the presentation Beth gave at OSCON and this prompted my inquiry. Let me experiment a little more and demo this stuff to some of my colleagues. After that I’ll probably take you up on that conference call.

Thanks again, Gabe

From: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Greg Watson
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:19 PM
To: Parallel Tools Platform general developers
Subject: Re: [ptp-dev] integration with other MPI libraries

Gabe,

On Jul 25, 2007, at 5:55 PM, Schnaubelt, Gabe T wrote:

Hi,

I’m wondering if there is developer information for integrating with other MPI implementations, specifically Intel MPI?

I've started on some developer documentation, but with all the things on my TODO list it may take some time :-) I'd be happy to arrange a conference call and/or meet with you to explain the architecture and talk about what would be necessary to add support. I would be very happy to see PTP support Intel MPI.

Is the OpenMPI runtime needed both for launching/monitoring the jobs and for the debugging?

The debugger is an MPI program, so technically should work with any MPI implementation. However there are some tricky startup issues that introduce some OpenMPI-ness into the process. I would be happy to explore what changes would be necessary to support your MPI.

BTW, there is an open meeting scheduled for 21/22 August to develop a specification for a generic, portable, scalable tool communication infrastructure. The idea is that debuggers and other tools would use this infrastructure for launching and communication services, and that it would support a wide range of systems and architectures. Eventually the PTP debugger will be replaced by this infrastructure. You'd be most welcome to attend this meeting and participate in the discussions. Let me know if you'd like more information (another person from Intel is also interested in possibly attending).

Is there a way to attach the debugger to already running processes?

Currently the debugger only supports launching the application. However a number of other people have also expressed interested in attaching, so this is something that we plan to add, hopefully for the next release.

Regards,

Greg

Back to the top