Re: [ptp-dev] remote services

I think we need be able to count on the proxy running as it it was a login
shell. There might be a user option to disable that, but when we need it,
we need to be able to guarantee we get that behavior.
Dave

Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
07/25/2007 10:43 AM
Please respond to

cc
ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [ptp-dev] remote services

On Jul 25, 2007, at 5:58 AM, Dave Wootton wrote:

> Greg
> I am interested in knowing when the RSE problems get resolved as I
> think
> that is an important feature for our PE and LoadLeveler plugins.

Agreed. The remote plugin is not very useful without a remote service.

> When the proxy gets started, is it invoked as if it was a login
> shell, so
> that /etc/profile and the user's '.profile' are read? The reason I
> ask is
> that I had a suggestion from one of the people testing my code that my
> proxy use any of the PE environment variables set by the user's
> account
> before my proxy is started as user-specified or installation
> overrides of
> the PE product defaults. With remote execution of the proxy, I
> think this
> means they have to be set in the user's .profile.

As currently implemented in the RSE adapter, the proxy command is
executed as if the user logged in and ran the command manually. I
think the user's .profile will be loaded in this case. If it's
important to guarantee this behavior, then I'll need to add a flag or
something so this is explicitly requested.

Greg