Re: [ptp-dev] Suggestions for PTP runtime view

I have a few more suggestions from others testing my code.

In the jobs view, the red icon that terminates the job should prompt the
user to be sure they want to cancel the job since this is an irrevocable
option, and user's may accidentally click it when they mean to click
another icon at the top of the view

If I right click on a job, the popup allows me to 'remove all terminated'.
A selection to remove only the selected job might be useful since the list
of terminated jobs in the view serves as a useful way to get back to
output from a previously run job.

Is there any way to reset a launch configuration back to initial default
values, other than deleting the launch configuration and recreating it.
There is a 'revert' button in the launch configuration panel, but that
resets the panel back to the values set when the panel was displayed, not
the original defaults.
Dave

Dave Wootton/Poughkeepsie/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
07/18/2007 02:18 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: [ptp-dev] Suggestions for PTP runtime view

I like the idea of a non-display flag, with a default that the attribute
is displayable, for each attribute. I'm assuming this gets somewhere in
the Java code when the PTP GUI sets up the attributes that it understands
as part of each event.
Dave

Greg Watson <g.watson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ptp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
07/18/2007 01:52 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject

On Jul 18, 2007, at 11:47 AM, Dave Wootton wrote:

> I've got a couple people on my team testing my PE resource manager
> implementation and they noted a few suggestions for improvement of
> the PTP
> runtime view
>
> 1) The purpose of the red 'Terminate all' icon in the jobs view is a
> little confusing. I had understood the purpose of this icon to
> terminate
> all running jobs. It turns out that it (correctly, I think) terminates
> only the currently selected job. Maybe the tooltip help for the
> icon could
> clarify this by reading something like 'Teminate selected job'

I think the original meaning was 'terminate all processes in the
selected job', rather than terminate all jobs. I'll clarify this.

> 2) The process info window in the machine view should be a scrollable
> window, horizontally and vertically. Currently, the info I have
> displayed
> in there gets truncated unless the user drags the slider widget to
> expand
> the window, and the window has no scrollbars.

Should be easy to add...

> 3) The node attributes window in the machine view shows the proxy
> generated node id as one of the attributes for the node. I don't think
> this number means anything to the user, and should not be part of the
> display. (If this is something I'm doing in my proxy code, let me
> know and
> I will fix it).

No, you're not doing anything wrong. Currently all node attributes
are displayed. I could hardcode this so that the ID is ignored, but
it wouldn't be a very a general solution. Perhaps attributes should
have a flag to indicate they are not for display purposes?

> I'll pass on more suggestions as I get them.

Great!

Greg