Re: [ptp-dev] Abstract element viewer selection bug

I understand the part where you say that if the mouse y-coordinate is returning you the wrong number then clearly you cannot correctly locate that node in the window - certainly that's not your fault. What I don't understand is who's problem it is. Is it a problem with the Linux GTK2 SWT? Do you have any idea WHY there's a problem? You say the widget cannot support a large size - do you mean a large pixel size?

That canvas is essentially a massively sized widget and you're only showing a portaion of it that's on the screen at a time. Are you saying if we try and great a JContainer and set it's size at something very large (say 1000x20,000 pixels) it will not work under Linux GTK2 SWT?

-- Nathan
Correspondence
Nathan DeBardeleben, Ph.D.
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Parallel Tools Team
High Performance Computing Environments
phone: 505-667-3428
email: ndebard@xxxxxxxx

Clement Chu wrote:

Hi Nathan,

I know this error before. If you created a large number of elements, this error may occur. Let me explain what it is. One of the problems is that the widget cannot support a large size. 50000 elements = (50000 * (16+4)) pixel where 16 and 4 are icon's pixel and spacing between each icon respectively. Another one is that the y-coordinate of the mouse cannot locate at accurately location of the widget. So when you clicked the node and another node will be selected. My code is depending on the mouse coordinate on the widget to find out the element. If the y-coordinate is not correct, I will find out the wrong element. Finally, this error is depending on what platform you are using. Different platform SWT will have different result. I tried on my laptop which is running under windows. I haven't the problem you mentioned, but the scrollbar only support to node 27845 which is depended on the size of your view. Sorry, it is quite hard to explain. Do you understand what I am talking about so far.

Regards,
Clement

Nathan DeBardeleben wrote:

More information.
Attached are 2 more screenshots. The first, selectbug2.gif, shows me selecting a region where the region isn't off the screen. You can see that as I select a rectangular region it's going 5 or so nodes north of where I'm selecting and grabbing those nodes. I've hovered over the node number to give you an estimate of where this happens.

The second screenshot, selectbug3, is hard to explain. What I'm doing here is just selecting a SINGLE node. The mouse isn't showing up in the screenshots :(. However, you know that the hover tooltip is displayed near/on top of the mouse. So you have an idea of where my house is. Anyway, in this screenshot as I hover over this node and select it, notice that the node about 7 rows north gets selected instead. There's some sort of math translation that's wrong here. It's incorrectly dealing with machines that have this high number of nodes. Again, you can fix it temporarily by resizing the machine window. So it makes me think there's some relationship to the rows/columns (number of elements displayed) code.

Hope this helps others see what I'm seeing.

-- Nathan
Correspondence
Nathan DeBardeleben, Ph.D.
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Parallel Tools Team
High Performance Computing Environments
phone: 505-667-3428
email: ndebard@xxxxxxxx

Nathan DeBardeleben wrote:

I've attached a screenshot here that shows the bug. Basically on a Linux box I set the simulator preferences to 1 machine and 50,000 nodes. I then was scrolling around the machine view and saw that when I scrolled towards the bottom and hovered over a node it didn't display the tool tip. I then tried to select a region and it totally screwed up.

Take a look at the screenshot.
Notice that I'm halfway down the list fof machines, trying to select a rectangular region, but it's zooming the bottom of the rectangle off the screen and is ALSO selecting the nodes above my region, off the screen. Something's wrong with the logic when the number of nodes is very large.

Clement, can you take a look at this since you wrote the code? We kind of need this fixed because we're going to want to demonstrate that we can simulate on a massive number of machines.

Thanks! Hopefully it's clear what error I'm seeing by looking at the screenshot.