Fwd: [ptp-dev] Re: ptp-dev Digest, Vol 3, Issue 8

Forwarded because Jeff isn't subscribed...

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jeff Squyres <jsquyres@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: June 24, 2005 9:45:07 AM MDT
To: Greg Watson <gwatson@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: ptp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ptp-dev] Re: ptp-dev Digest, Vol 3, Issue 8

On Jun 24, 2005, at 9:35 AM, Greg Watson wrote:

Just got an email from the OMPI team saying that they are not supporting Tiger (Mac OSX 10.4) so we'll have to think about how we want to move forward.

Did they say why the change? I saw Jeff Squyres and Brian at Apple WWDC a couple weeks ago, and they talked quite a bit about Open MPI supporting Tiger. They also told me they had Open MPI working on the Mac-on-Intel Tiger box's there with a few small tweaks. It sounded like it was going to be supported at that point.

Rodney is correct -- Open MPI will be supported on Tiger (PPC and x86). There are a few open kernel bugs with Apple about running on Tiger in 64 bit mode, but the path forward is clear -- Open MPI will definitely support Tiger.

I think the confusion came from the fact that LANL will likely not be the entity supporting Tiger in Open MPI (i.e., statements were made about "we will not support..." -- the definition of "we" in that statement was relative). For example, Tiger is not listed in the LANL Open MPI project plan (is Tiger even authorized at LANL yet?). But remember that Open MPI is a collaboration of several institutions; Tiger support is listed in other organizations' OMPI project plans (e.g., Indiana University).

So fear not -- OMPI will be supported on Tiger.

(I am not a member of the p2p-dev list; if you have any further questions for me, be sure to CC me in your replies. Thanks!)

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} The Open MPI Project

Back to the top