From: Donny Kurniawan <donny.kurniawan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: May 11, 2005 10:57 PM
Subject: CDT Debug Questions
To: cdt-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hello,

I am trying to understand CDT Debug but it seems that I hit a brick
wall reading the HTML pages.

>From the CDT Debug page:
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/cdt-debug-home/main.html?cvsroot=Tools_Project&rev=1.6

Planned major features:
1. Provide a C/C++ debug model which extends the debug model provided
by the platform.
2. Provide a common C/C++ debugger interface (CDI) which will be used
to "talk" to the actual debugger.

I've reread those 2 sentences but I'm still not sure that I got what they mean.
What's the relationship between the C/C++ debug model and C/C++
debugger interface (CDI), is it like this:
Platform Debug Model <--> C/C++ Debug Model <--> CDI <--> MI <--> GDB ?

Looking at the source code of CDT Debug, it has ICDebugTarget that
extends IDebugTarget, and also ICDITarget (similarly: ICBreakpoint
that extends IBreakpoint, and ICDIBreakpoint), I assume IC* is the
C/C++ debug model and ICDI* is the CDI ?
But why do we need another layer (i.e. CDI) ? (sorry if the question
sounds trivial)

3. Provide a default implementation of a debugger which will use
"gdb-mi" protocol.

This is one of the _planned_ major features, how is it going to be
different from the existing implementation (with MI and GDB) ?

Major focus points:
1. Lock down CDI API.
2. Implement "mi" plugin using CDI
3. Implement the core debug model using CDI.

The focus points also puzzle me, aren't they already there? How are
they going to
be different from existing implementation?

I'm so sorry for asking a lot of questions, tried to google and browse
eclipse.org to no avail.
The document (http://www.eclipsecon.org/2005/presentations/EclipseCon05_8.2.pdf)
helps but it still leave some questions....

Thanks,
Donny

Back to the top