RE: [provisioning-dev] Provisioning going forward

I just wanted to clarify the project intersections list.  Creating this list wasn't a "design by committee" exercise. Many people with existing open and proprietary technologies came to the workshop, and this list was just an attempt to identify where the common areas of interest are between these existing technologies. Then, going forward, the people who have an interest in those areas can collaborate on a common technology, under whatever project is appropriate for that area. I.e., this wasn't an attempt to see how we can mash up these existing technologies and code into a single blob.

I agree with you that the Equinox provisioning work is important, as it will likely define the basic foundation on which other work is built. However, I disagree that everyone needs to focus on this area alone. There are use cases that lie outside the scope of the Equinox work, and there is plenty of room for projects to build interesting new things on top of that foundation. In fact, having other projects building on the Equinox foundation in parallel is probably the best (only?) way to ensure that the basic API and metadata is rich and extensible enough to build upon in the future.  As with the initial Eclipse platform, that was built in parallel with exemplary extensions (JDT and PDE), the other provisioning work going on in open and closed source at the same time will help make the underlying foundation much stronger.

John

"Philippe Ombredanne" <pombredanne@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: provisioning-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

17/04/2007 08:48 PM

Please respond to
pombredanne@xxxxxxxxx; Please respond to
"Developer discussions for provisioning \(Update Manager\)        initiatives" <provisioning-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"'Developer discussions for provisioning \(Update Manager\)initiatives'" <provisioning-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
wayne.beaton@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
RE: [provisioning-dev] Provisioning going forward

Tim:
I am all with you.
I am a pragmatist, and when it comes to open source , there is only one
truth: the code.
Equinox has a code base, and Maya will have one soon. (That I am
anxious/excited to checkout ASAP if possible)
I highlighted those. Anyone else that has a code base now, and a plan to
make it grow has my respect.
So I am cool. You are cool.
(Note that BTW, we have one too @ easyeclipse, as we sponsored an intern
last summer to work on a replacement to the update manager, it was fun
stuff, but I do not think it is worthy pursuing for now).

Yet I am worried when I see a gadzillion of projects intersections: it
smells like design by comittee to me. (bad smell)
Variations one one theme and one code base makes sense, as long as it is
clear that there is one theme and code base.
Because being a pragmatist, the solution that is part of the core SDK
will be the most widely distributed and available.
And it will win. So we better make it good, solid and the point of first
focus, rather than diluting efforts (beyond existing code base like
Maya).
Or else we can end up with yet another partially useful and broken story
that has been the update manager so far.

Wa

As a side note, I am the admin for the Google Summer of Code @ Eclipse,
together with Wayne Beaton.  Among the 21 students that have been
selected to contribute to Eclipse this summer, there are a couple which
are closely related to provisioning.
*Eclipse web interface (with a possible use case to trigger provisioning
from an arbitrary web page in any web browser)
*New Update manager UI (which will focus to bring a face to Equinox
provisioning)
*An auto-configuration plugin for Eclipse (in a more holistic view of
provisioning, to get automated preferences and discovered services
configured)
*Java Executable Wrapper Plugin for Eclipse (vaguely related)
*WebDAV EFS Implementation ( a potential transport)
*Semantic-aware software component provisioning: actually reusing
software ( to define a component ontology)

I invite everyone to check out those abstract and stand by to support
and help those students and their mentors when their work will start in
late May, as they can contribute small code bricks to the larger
edifice. The best way to get plugged in the short term is to join
#eclipse-soc on freenode.
http://code.google.com/soc/eclipse/about.html

--
Cheers