RE: [provisioning-dev] Provisioning going forward

Philippe,

Without a doubt everything will ultimately be built on top of the
Equinox provisioning work as it provides the key enabling technology
that will provide both consistency and enablement for a variety of
services.  That said, it is unlikely that Equinox's scope will (or
should) grow to cover the full set of use cases that will ultimately
need to be supported in a the full Eclipse provisioning solution.
Instead, I would look at Equinox to provide a rich set of capabilities
for provisioning and then certain projects such as Maya to provide
additional user interfaces and concrete implementations to meet specific
user scenarios -- in the case of Maya being targeted for organization
and enterprise provisioning.

To pick a particular example, certain consumers of Eclipse require
central management.  This is an area that will likely continue to reside
in the Maya project even as the Equinox project evolves.  Similar to
Equinox having extensibility, so will the central server component in a
provisioning system to enable capabilities such as licensing and
governance.  I personally see the continued need for multiple projects
to be successful if we are hoping to have a successful end-to-end
provisioning story for the 3.4 timeline.  From the workshop, we
identified multiple areas of intersection between projects.  From those
intersections we will next be splitting out work to be performed in the
various provisioning projects.

Regarding where to focus attention, I'd suggest focusing it from a given
interest or need instead of project and then we can work as a community
to determine which project is the right home for the near term to
support development of that component.  Once the projects mature out of
incubator status, we may then decide to restructure project placements
but only once we've better defined and delivered on the base
provisioning needs for Eclipse.  At the end of the day, there are many
areas of provisioning as was highlighted by discussions at the workshop.

I absolutely agree that we need to make sure the Equinox provisioning
work is very successful but I wouldn't want to do that at the expense of
the other provisioning work needed.  In addition, as we found at the
workshop, by talking through projects like Maya, IBM's Install Manager,
SmartUp and other technologies represented, we were able to further
mature and identify needs that would be required at the Equinox level.
Continuing to move the entire provisioning solution forward will help
ensure we have not only a successful base story to replace what we have
today but a rich platform that will meet needs of the future.

Cheers,
Tim