Re: [polarsys-iwg] Maturity Assessment review and feedback

Le 28/08/2014 12:21, etienne.juliot@xxxxxxx a écrit :
Hi,
Hiho,

Thank you for your feedback! My comments inline..

I would like to propose an improvement:
I think the "user feedback and usage" is a major key point of the maturity evaluation of a project. You can have a project with a very nice code, a good responsiveness of its support, a good process for its developers, but a poor maturity from the point of view of the end users but features are useless, ergonomic is bad, etc.

First, I propose to add a 4th category in the quality model [2]: community is mostly focus on the creator of the technology and those who help the project to be adopted. So, in my opinion, it should not be consolidated in the same category.
Lets call it for the rest of my email "Usage".
+1 -- sounds good.

In this Usage category, lets move "installed base". And in this one, you propose an installation survey.
+1

You should also add a metric about the number of download. For me, a project which is not used cannot be promoted as Mature.
Well, let's have a word about metrics.

One big point with the process is that *all* metrics needed to compute the quality attributes must be *reliably* available for all projects. If one project doesn't provide, say a maturity evaluation or whatever, and another takes the time to measure it and has bad results. In such a case the former should not have a better notation than the latter, because it would encourage projects not to measure things they need to improve. This holds for many metrics, especially when they may not have the same meaning from one case to the other and when they cannot be collected automatically.

You should be able to calculate this metric from statistics of EF infrastructure (apache logs on updatesite, marketplace metrics, downloads of bundles when the project is already bundled, etc). Be careful to remove from the log stats any hudson/jenkins which consume updatesite: they don't reflect a real number of users.
As for the downloads, they sure have a cool information but we have to be careful with its consistency across projects: some components may use different means to install or download, as highlighted by Raphael in a later email. However I like the idea of measuring it through different means (logs, marketplace, dl of bundles..) which helps counteract some side effects.

Something interesting should be also to measure the diversity of the users. For example, if a project is used only by academic or by only one large company, can we say it is mature?
Interesting idea, although very difficult to measure accurately.. we do not have a sure mapping between the users and their fields.

My next major proposition is allow user to be precise about their feedback on the project, in a view to allow you to use it automatically in the maturity assessment.
My idea is reuse the existing Eclipse Marketplace to host this feedback. We can reuse ideas from other marketplace like Play Store or AppStore where users can write a review but also add a notation.
So, you will have this kind of result :

To be more precise on the vote, we can use two alternatives: propose a fix list of criteria, or allow free list of pro/cons.
The first option is easier to tool-up, but the second one is more useful for the project commiters (mostly to know what users like, which is an information very hard to find today).
Very interesting. As for the last paragraph, we can use this information even if it does not come into the notation itself: we also aim to propose sound and pragmatic advice to improve the project, and your proposition definitely fits in it.

For this second one, I see a website that uses it (I can't remember which one) and it was like this :
You have two lists to fill where users can freely add new line. Lets use this example for only one feedback):
- what do you like
    performance
    nice icons
-what do you dislike
    no linux compatibility
And, you just have to create a simple analyzer that consolidates the top 10 of each positive / negative feedbacks:
+
    performance (80)
    nice icons (15)
    lay loading (8)
-
    everything is perfect (200)
    project logo (20)
Sounds good..

As with mobile apps, Eclipse Marketplace Client could propose an API to Eclipse plug-in to propose to vote directly from the IDE itself. So, we could receive feedback of real end users, and not only from the Eclipse's websites visitors.
More tooling needed, so won't fix in the first iteration I guess. Definitely interesting though.

--
boris

Etienne JULIOT
Vice President, Obeo