[polarsys-iwg] About the Maturity Assessment advancement

Hiho dear Polarsys folks,

I would like to present you some thoughts on the Maturity Assessment topic: quality model, what has been done and what is on-going.

Our goal is to present the maturity assessment model and the associated method at the EclipseCon unconference. If we can prepare this topic and gather some interesting feedback before then, it will be even more productive. So please feel free to comment and argue...

= What has been done =

Last year, we layed down a sound foundation for the Polarsys quality model and assessment method:
* We defined what we mean by Maturity: cf. [1]
* We identified a number of requirements for Eclipse and Polarsys projects, divided into three main categories: product, process, and community. This has been written down here: [2]
* Considering the requirements and available metrics, we proposed the quality model described in [3].

Beyond our own discussions and
common agreement, it received a good feedback from other people.

Unfortunately, the first prototype we had was implemented with SQuORE [4], which is a good but closed-source product and the prototype development was brutally stopped for this very reason.

= And now... =

Now some work has been done by Bitergia [5] on the Eclipse's dashboard [6], which provides a bunch of interesting metrics (configuration management and mailing lists) that we can use to compute ratings for the quality model. We also are working to integrate source code and rule-checking metrics from Sonar, to be integrated as well in the quality model -- more up-to-date information on this can be found at [7].

Before diving into the internal mechanics it is time for a round of feedback on the quality model and the overall assessment process. Considering your own knowledge, experience and needs, would you have any remarks or ideas to improve, change, or alter the quality model?

As a starting point, Gaël already asked for a quality attribute concerning deployments: e.g. Has the software been deployed in some large company? For how many users? Are they co-located or spread worldwide?

You are welcome to contribute and express
your concerns either by replying to this email (I will then update the wiki) or by editing this page:
         https://polarsys.org/wiki/MaturityAssessmentToolsArchitecture

Have a wonderful week-end,

--
boris