Re: [platform-vcm-dev] RE: The WVCM API

This is as good a place as any (the JCP doesn't really provide a good
mechanism for this kind of public discussion), unless other members of
this list object (if they do, the WebDAV deltav mailing list would be
a reasonable alternative).

One of the main reasons is that what is returned from doReadProperties()
is the appropriate subtype of Resource, corresponding to what is on the
server.  So a common sequence would be for the client to create a Resource
for some Location, and then Resource.doReadProperties() will return the
appropriate class (e.g. ControllableResource or Folder).  So the type of
object returned by doReadProperties is not necessarily the same type as
the proxy to which doReadProperties is applied.

Cheers,
Geoff

Vladimir wrote on 07/01/2003 10:03:16 PM:

> Not sure if this list is the right place to ask, but I'm curious after
> reviewing WVCM javadoc why it was chosen to return an instance of Resource
> from Resource.doReadProperties(wantedProps) as opposed to populating the
> instance of a resource on which this method is invoked with retrieved
> properties?

Back to the top