Re: [platform-vcm-dev] Mutlithreading in the Team UI

Hi Michael,

> What do you mean by content provider? Do you mean TargetProvider?
Well, I am talking about a content provider for some view. This is a
problem which is not unique to the team plugin, but I did believe it had
the most impact here.

> As for non-blocking communications, the problem from a CVS, FTP and DAV
> standpoint is that, if an upload or download is non-blocking, a user could
> modify resources that are involved in the transfer at the wrong time and
> cause corruption either locally or remotely. Some sort of mechanism to lock
> the resource during the operation would be required.
I do understand that, but I don't believe that it is ok to lock the
whole ui. Not even a repaint is possible.

> So to answer you question: yes, it bothers me when I have to wait for a
> long running operation to finish but I can't think of a safe way to make
> the CVS, FTP or DAV operations non-blocking. I should also say that there
> may be some operations that can be non-blocking and we will investigate
> these.
I believe the platform ui is missing something here. I explained that
below. Could you have another look?

Mariano