[platform-vcm-dev] Performance concern using Simple Provider Interface

I have a mostly-working version of a simple FTP based repository using the
interfaces provided in org.eclipse.team.examples.core and
org.eclipse.team.examples.ui (to complement the existing remote file and
webdav examples that already exist).

I have observed that is is necessary contact the server to display the
context menu for any project resource that is managed using this simple
team interface. This causes a performance delay due to the server access.
At this point the user may not need to interact with the server. The reason
is the hasRemote method the abstract ResourceState class is called,
presumably to determine if the Team->Get or Put menu items should be
enabled.

Currently, this implementation has no practical value due to this problem.

I looked at an alternative of setting a persistent resource property to
flag any FTP managed local resource (set after a  download) to eliminate
the need for a server call.  However, this approach requires a cleanup
operation to remove these flags when the Project is no longer connected to
the FTP server. The "Disconnect Project from Team..." action does not
provide any notification that would allow me to do this. (separately I
noticed that persistent properties on local resources were not always
returned when set. That might be an R2 bug...or mine)

I would expect that any implementer would encounter this performance
problem. If the local resource flagging is a reasonable approach then I
think that could be implemented in the superclass Resource state (along
with the cleanup operation). Thoughts?

Jim D'Anjou

Back to the top