Re: [platform-vcm-dev] VCM 2.0 - question ...

James Moody wrote:

> Regarding the setting of project natures at creation
> time, this is problematic. Not from a core perspective,
> but from the UI perspective.  Project creation is driven
> by the 'type' of project you wish to create; if you
> want to create a simple project, use the simple project
> wizard. If you want to create a Java project, use the
> java project wizard. If you want to create a project
> that is of two or more types (e.g. a Java project which
> is also a CVS project) you're out of luck, as there is
> no way to create a "Java + CVS" wizard. I do not know
> if any work is going on in this space, but it looks to
> me that the UI team would have to provide such a generic
> solution, as it is impossible for teams to know of all
> possible combinations of available project natures which
> might be used together, and which might conflict (e.g.
> CVS and Perforce is invalid on the same project).

While I agree with your observation, ("this is problematic") I think it is
a real problem, since in general there will be both (1) natures that are
required to be defined a priori (e.g., this project is already in a version
control system _and_ it is a Java project, etc.), and (2) natures that are
inherently incompatible (e.g., it cannot be in PVCS version control _and_
ClearCase version control simultaneously).

Defining a project with a one-nature-type wizard either means that natures
do not solve this problem and we need something else, or the definition
depends upon a multi-wizard combo!

Regards,
Tim

Back to the top