Re: [platform-update-dev] Shared Install versus Shared Configuration

Hi Mark,
        I've never seen a valid use for the shared install scenario using update manager so would be interested in hearing one. I've often wondered why they added that scenario to the docs. The only time I have seen it being useful is when you manage the local configuration and keeping the shared area as a pool of plugins/features. So if you wanted to have each user have a different configuration then each would have to manage theirs via the Manage Configuration in eclipse update.  Since the shared install scenario also requires read-only access to the install area users can't install anything to it. All a normal user can do is enable/disable features. They can't update existing features in the shared area.

An admin wanting to use update manager to update the shared area would have to specify a separate configuration flag when running their eclipse so as not to contaminate

eclipse -configuration <anywhere that isn't the shared configuration>

Peter