Re: [platform-update-dev] Cascaded Configuration Areas

> > .............  What happens if I update a plugin using the update
> > manager?  Not install a new plugin, but actually run an update
> > operation that installs a newer version of a plugin that currently
> > resides in my read-only configuration area (one of the base Eclipse
> > plugins for instance)?  I'm assuming it will be installed into my
> > user configuration area and not be available to other users on the
> > machine?
>
> I don't recall the details, but I belive you can't update existing
> features/plugins because the updater will try to co-locate them with
> the old plugins. However, you should be able to install new plugins
> in a location of your choice.

Hey Dorian,

Thanks for the reply.  The only concern I have is the one above.  The rest of the behaviour seems logical and desired, actually.  So - if a user is running a cascaded configuration then installing updates is completely diasabled/broken?  If this is true - what will it actually do (and I will be testing this - I just need to set up something I can *update* which is proving to be tricky right now)?  I mean - will it *try* to update and just fail, or will it not allow updates to the features at all?  I'm hoping the answer is c) none of the above and it will let the user update the plugins into their user configuration area.  That seems more logical to me.  Otherwise, why are we bothering to run our own update site if the users have to become administrators and execute a special command line (switching off cascading - which it turned on in config.ini) in order to pick up updates to our plugins?  We may as well just give them a link to download a new installer.

M.
AMI Semiconductor - "Silicon Solutions for the Real World"
NOTICE:
This electronic message contains information that may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender and delete the copy you received.

Back to the top