Re: RE: [platform-update-dev] Investigating some alternative updatemanager

On 15/09/06, Philippe Ombredanne <pombredanne@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Alex Blewitt wrote on Thursday, September 14, 2006 12:56 AM
> I'd like to be involved with this effort.
Alex, that's cool!
Just join us on IRC and sign up your name on the wiki page for a start.
Fire up your Jav editor and we rock and roll.
Some feedback on the early code and model is welcomed.

Sorry, no can do. Don't have IRC access from work and generally going
to be in a different timezone by the time I end up hacking on bits and
pieces.

Note that the intent for this small exploratory  *IS NOT* to create a
new update manager from scratch! Instead it is to be explicitly *COMPATIBLE*
with the 1000's of updates sites that exists on the internet.

I'm more interested in providing a next-generation update mechanism
that has nothing to do with features, personally. I'm sure that such a
system would be able to be backwardly compatible with existing update
sites -- after all, a simple XSLT would be able to translate an
existing feature.xml into a new format.

So while I agree with you that the current mechanism has issues -- I am
sure we all agree with that---, the intent is not to replace, yet work
with the existing system.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling that I'm in the minority on my views
here.  I'm therefore curious as to what part I could play.

Alex.

Back to the top