RE: [platform-update-dev] Creating internal mirrors ofcore eclipseupdate sites

http://help.eclipse.org/help32/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.user/tasks/tasks-37.htm, in particular:
  • If administrators install the product: administrators edit the file 'plugin_customization.ini' in the primary product feature and set the default value of the 'updatePolicyURL' property as follows:

    org.eclipse.update.core/updatePolicyURL = <URL value>

You can pass the customization file in on the command line
-plugincustomization
                  propertiesFile
The location of a properties file containing default settings for plug-in preferences. These default settings override default settings specified in the primary feature. Relative paths are interpreted relative to the directory that eclipse was started from. 2

or using the products extension point:

http://help.eclipse.org/help32/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/guide/product_configproduct.htm

-Dorian

"Daffin, Miles (IT)" <Miles.Daffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-update-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/21/2006 05:17 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform Update component developers list." <platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Eclipse Platform Update component developers list." <platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [platform-update-dev] Creating internal mirrors        ofcore        eclipseupdate sites

Hi Dorian,

Thanks for the response. We are rolling our own pre-packaged install of eclipse ide. You can set the update policy url but what do you mean by "plugin customisation properites file"?

Miles

Eclipse Platform Update component developers list.
RE: [platform-update-dev] Creating internal mirrors ofcore eclipseupdate sites

I think there is a plugin preference that you can set to configure the update policy url. This would work as long as developers install your own "pre-packaged" version of eclipse, that contains your own plugin customization properties file.

-Dorian

"Philippe Ombredanne" <pombredanne@xxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-update-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/11/2006 07:24 PM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform Update component developers list." <platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"'Eclipse Platform Update component developers list.'" <platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [platform-update-dev] Creating internal mirrors of core        eclipseupdate sites

If you want the updates to be redirected to your sites you can:
-- proxy
-- use update policy .
Update policies are a bit arcane, but check the doc.
http://help.eclipse.org/help32/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc
.user/tasks/tasks-37.htm
Note that the standalone update generates a policy for you based on the
parameters you give (the new update site URL)... but the proble is how
to distribute that policy?
It has to be installed on each desktop....
Or possibly packaged as a bundle and deliver with update ? ;-)
The proxy does not have this problem.

>Do you think it is necessary to create internal proxies for the core
sites installed by default in 3.2 ('Callisto >Discovery Site' and  'The
Eclipse Project update site')? Does anyone have any experience of doing
this?

>I would be especially interested in hearing about the process by which
you detect, install, test and then
>expose updates to your company via the proxies. (We have a number of
home grown and vendor features >that would need regession testing with
all updates before enterprise wide relase.)
Unless you controlled exactly what was initially installed, you cannot
really control what will be updated.

--
Cheers
Philippe

philippe ombredanne | 1 650 799 0949 | pombredanne at nexb.com
nexB - Open by Design (tm) - http://www.nexb.com
http://easyeclipse.org  -  irc://irc.freenode.net/easyeclipse

I am in charge of creating a preconfigured internal release of eclipse
3.2 for my company. Once developers have installed the baseline product
I would like to use the update manager to handle *all* enhancements (via
feature installs) and updates (to the core platform and Callisto
features).

I have read the docs on controlling the eclipse update policy
(http://help.eclipse.org/help32/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.do
c.user/tasks/tasks-37.htm). Do you think it is necessary to create
internal proxies for the core sites installed by default in 3.2
('Callisto Discovery Site' and  'The Eclipse Project update site')? Does
anyone have any experience of doing this? I would be especially
interested in hearing about the process by which you detect, install,
test and then expose updates to your company via the proxies. (We have a
number of home grown and vendor features that would need regession
testing with all updates before enterprise wide relase.)

Best rgds,

Miles
Miles Daffin
Morgan Stanley | EAI | MSDE
20 Cabot Square | Canary Wharf | London E14 4QA | UK
Tel: +44 (0) 20 767 75119
Fax: +44 (0) 20 705 64572
miles.daffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender.  Sender
does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender.  Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited._______________________________________________
platform-update-dev mailing list
platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx