Re: [platform-update-dev] Looking for Recommendations

Interesting scenario. I haven't tried it before, but I think this may work:
When the SDK 1.0.1 is installed, its nested features will actually be installed first, so your install handler will execute first. There will be no restart after installing that nested feature (amis.platform), so if there is a need for restart after the install handler runs, then this won't work.

However, given the exclusive = true, I think that kind of forces you to expose the feature on the update site. Perhaps this would work:

Core Branding (and Install Handler) Feature (com.amis.platform)

My SDK Feature (com.amis.sdk)

+--Tools for Product X Feature (com.amis.productX)

+--Tools for Product Y Feature (com.amis.productY)

And have your SDK pre-req Core Branding. That way, the user must select both for updates.

And finally, if you can put the install handler in the sdk feature, then things will be straightforward.

-Dorian

Mark_Melvin@xxxxxxxx
Sent by: platform-update-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/12/2006 11:28 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform Update component developers list." <platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Eclipse Platform Update component developers list." <platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [platform-update-dev] Looking for Recommendations

Thanks, Dorian.

OK, here is another question.  What happens if I just simplify my structure down to the following, basically mimicking the Eclipse SDK structure:

My SDK Feature (com.amis.sdk)

+--Core Branding (and Install Handler) Feature (com.amis.platform)

+--Tools for Product X Feature (com.amis.productX)

+--Tools for Product Y Feature (com.amis.productY)

Now, suppose I simplify my update site to only list updates for the core SDK feature to avoid confusing the user.  All they need to know is there is an update to the SDK.  So, my update site simply looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<site>
<feature url="" id="com.amis.sdk" version="1.0.1">
   <category name="SDK Updates"/>
</feature>
<category-def name="SDK Updates" label="SDK Updates">
   <description>
      Updates to the SDK.
   </description>
</category-def>
</site>

Now let's say I start with v1.0.0 of all features.  Now suppose that we want to deploy an update to the SDK (to v1.0.1) that contains updates to *both* the Core Install Handler feature, as well as the two Product features, *BUT* the Core Install Handler feature is set to be installed by itself with the
exclusive="true" attribute.  If I don't expose these updates on the update site, what happens then?  The first time the user checks for updates, I assume it will find an update to the SDK (from v1.0.0 to v1.0.1).  Does it know that it has to install the Install Handler update first, then restart and install the rest?
I doubt it, so if not, do I have to expose these sub-features to the user on the update site?  If so, how would that work with versioning?  I mean, if the first time an update is run and the platform found a version update from SDK v1.0.0 to SDK v1.0.1, how can you only install "part" of that update?  I assume this is not possible, and I would then have to make any features that must be installed exclusively a top-level feature?  If so, this will sort of dictate my structure...

Thanks,

Mark.