Re: [platform-update-dev] Question about update on multi-user systems

Matt,

This is an excellent usecase and would be very interesting to support.  Mechanically we are there today but the workflow is likely less than optimal.  When you run Eclipse you run "configurations" (or lists) of plugins.  These can be in many different locations.  If each user has their own configuration (read list) then they are free to update it as they choose.  They can then of course download/install new features to their configuration and place them where they want.  We have a notion of shared or parented configurations that is intended to play in this area but has not been driven home throughout Update.  Under this model there is one central configuraiton and each user configuration adds some information and points to the shared one for the defaults.

Could you open a bug report detailing the usecase (as you did below) so what we don't lose the information or forget?

Jeff

"Matt Ryan" <mryan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-update-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/21/2006 10:27 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform Update component developers list."

<platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[platform-update-dev] Question about update on multi-user systems

Hello,

I have a question about Eclipse update on multi-user systems, like Linux.

The essence of the question is this:  As we know, Eclipse comes with a built-in update mechanism.  There is also the ability to set up extension locations, additional places where Eclipse looks for plugins.
My question:  Has there been any consideration to tying some of this functionality together so that users of Eclipse on a multi-user system can use the update mechanism to install plugins without effecting the system installation?

Here's a typical use case on Linux.  Eclipse on Linux may be installed in a centralized location (/usr/share/eclipse on our SUSE Linux platform) instead of inside a user's home directory.  This way, every user on the system can run Eclipse from that one installation.  However, this poses two problems.  1) Most users may not have appropriate permission to write to the installation location, so Eclipse update will not work for them.  2) Even if they can write there, they may not want to because perhaps not every user on the system wants to have the same plugins.  3) The extension location option is available to them, but this is not user-specific - meaning, Eclipse doesn't use different extension locations for different users running on the same system (or if it does I missed it somehow).

What are your thoughts on this?

--

Matt Ryan
Senior Software Engineer