[platform-update-dev] Site is not Updateable

Hi Everyone,

We are trying to take advantage of the shared configuration area so that we can properly install our product in a multi-user environment.  So, we have an existing install of our product, and now we are deploying an update to it.  As part of this update, we are replacing the default config.ini with a new version that contains the following lines:

# The default workspace location
osgi.instance.area.default=@user.home/workspace

# The user-writable configuration location
osgi.configuration.area=@user.home/.eclipse/configuration

# Ensure the shared, platform configuration location is read only
osgi.sharedConfiguration.area.readOnly=true

This *appears* to do what we want, and gives user-specific configuration areas.  Also, an update from a local update site appears to work fine.  However, updating using the command line does not.  What we are seeing is after we install the plugin that contributes the new config.ini file, the command line updater always fails on subsequent runs telling us that the "site is not updateable".  I have tried everything I can think of and cannot resolve this.  It works again if I restore the old config.ini...but that is not what I want. ;o)

Also, the docs are *very* sparse on anything related to updating.  The way I read it was if you specified a user-specific configuration area, any new plugins/updates would be installed in the users area.  Thus one user could install a plugin, and the other users would not see it.  But this is not what happens. All of the updates are simpyl installed in the base eclipse folder.

What am I doing wrong, and is there any good docs/references on this stuff.  I guess I am totally confused on what all of these options mean in terms of configuration areas, etc.

And *finally*, we also have an issue where the command line updater can only seem to install one feature at a time.  This makes our installer *incredibly* slow because we have to fire up and shut down eclipse 11 times to install our 11 features.  Is there any way to install more than one feature at a time from the command line?  It would be a huge time-saver.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.
Mark Melvin, P. Eng
Member of Technical Staff, Software Tools
AMI Semiconductor Canada Company
611 Kumpf Dr., Unit 200
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2V 1K8
Tel: +1.519.884.9696 ext 2245