[platform-update-dev] When to Update and when to Find New?

Hi All,

We just released another internal milestone of our tools and I thought I had the hang of this, but I am confused.  We have a few levels of feature dependencies.  We released an update today, and I instructed the users to go to Help > Software Updates > Find and Install..., and choose to search for updates to current plugins.  The current plugin set was 0.8.1, and we released 0.9.0 of everything today, so I also instructed them to first change the "Valid Updates" setting in the preferences to "compatible" so they could see the updates.  Well, the problem was, the update procedure had to be done 4 times, once for each level of feature dependencies.  So for example, if we have Feature A, which requires Feature B, which requires Feature C (etc.), the user could only first see the update to Feature C.  They then had to restart, and look for updates again to now find Feature B, and then do it all over again to find Feature A (now that they had upgraded their other features).
A particular user who didn't read my directions, simply blindly went and looked for NEW features to install.  This happily gave him the option to install version 0.9.0 of ALL of our features, and did the update mechanism still did all the right things and disabled the old 0.8.1 versions that were superceded with the "new" features.

So, this just seems odd to me.  We released an update, not a new package.  What I would *expect* to happen is for the update wizard to show me ALL feature updates to 0.9.0, but not let me install v0.9.0 of Feature A unless I *also* selected v0.9.0 of its dependencies.  Should it not show me ALL available *updates* to all installed features, but still do dependency checking on what I am installing (similar to the way the install *new* features works)?  Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong here?

BTW - my match rule is "greater or equal" on all my dependencies, but that shouldn't matter in my opinion.  The available updates wizard should not restrict my choice to upgrade EVERYTHING, as long as I am upgrading my dependencies at the same time.

Thanks,
Mark.

Back to the top