Re: [platform-update-dev] Role Based Updates

 How about an adapter approach, like Team.

I haven't heard any good discussion about the interface to directory services and the strong affinity to security services.    I don't have a good feeling that we are looking at the bigger picture yet.  We are talking about security and role based software configuration without discussing directories. directory services Typically, groups are managed in the directory.  The security systems in turn manages the trust relationships and puts ACL's on groups and or persons. There are many different directory services. Starting with directory services from Novell eDirectory, Lotus ,Tivoli, CA, Microsoft and many more. Google this "directory security service".   The credentials and format and authentication is done in a variety of ways.   For example,  A thumb print is the credential on a ThnkPad is now.  Whatever we do in this area  I think the Ellipse platform goal should be directory and security agnostic.  I want to say we need a platform for directory and security services, like we did for Team providers.
.
.A lot of vendors claim to do LDAP,  but most often, it's hard to get anything other than the name, phone, address.  You end up with the lowest common denominator.  Making matters worse, directory services take different credentials Kerberos (or a flavor there of),  Public Key Infrastructure, T X-509, Windows XP security access token + SID, etc..

And like and like a Team source repository,  it's hard to switch to a new directory and security system.

Should we be talking with real stakeholders, those ISV's in the Directory and Security business?

Thanks,
Scott Fairbrother
Eclipse/WebSphere Studio Jumpstart Team

The Java Developer's Guide to Eclipse - http://www.aw.com/catalog/academic/product/1,4096,0321159640,00.html?type=PRE
Ready for Rational Software partner program - http://www.developer.ibm.com/rational/readyfor.html

Bob Foster <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-update-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/22/2005 11:17 PM

Please respond to
platform-update-dev

platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject

Christophe Elek wrote:
> Bob,
> No problem

Thanks!

> HTTPS relies on SSL which does the following handshake
>
> 1) client connects to HTTPS
> 2) Server sends server cert
> 3) client verifies cert against its truststore

It made sense right up to here.

> optional
> 4) server asks for client cert
> 5) client sends cert
> 6) server verifies cert

Does somebody really want their cert sitting around on each client's
machine?

> In the current implementation, all works fine if the server certificate is
> signed by a trusted CA which appears in cacerts under the JDK (Verisign,
> Thawte and maybe Equifax depending on your cacert)

Ok.

> If you created your own certificate, the connection will fail miserably
> until you manually add the server certificate in your client

This part I don't understand. But maybe your next paragraph means I
don't need to. ;-}

> When you connect to a HTTPS server from a browser you can get a screen that
> tells you (in a nutshell)
> The certificate you are receiving is signed by <company>
> You do not trust <company> do you want to trust it for this session, for
> ever or decide to cancel
> We can do the same <well, technically it is feasible>

Yes, it makes sense to do the same thing.

Bob