[platform-update-dev] Install handlers and SWT/JFace

Hi,

I've seen various posts (on this mailing list and others) about using
graphical widgets from a custom install handler but I haven't seen
anyone who got this working.  I'm trying to run a class in a jar file
packaged along with the feature, and apparently, the classpath in this
context does not have any references to the graphical plug-ins.

It appears like one solution to this problem is installing a feature
that registers a plugin under the
org.eclipse.update.core.installHandlers and then have the user run the
update manager again to install a feature that references the newly
installed installHandler which has the correct classpath and can then
present the user with dialogs, etc.  While a good work-around, I think
potential users would find this procedure a bit awkward.

Is there a way to configure an custom install handler that can use SWT?
If not, is there something on the road map?  Does an example or some
documentation for this usage pattern exist that I've managed to miss?
I'd sincerely appreciate any pointers you could send my way. :-)

FWIW, The installation I'm considering would require at least a few
dialogs worth of data during installation and it appears like, the best
route would be to use a third party tool to tackle this problem.

Thanks,

gene

Back to the top