Re: [platform-update-dev] Link File Status

Pat, check the mailing list archives, there is discussion about the recommended way to use links. The topic was "eclipse installation site types cleanup".
The short answer is links are not deprecated.

-Dorian

Pat McCarthy <patmc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-update-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/09/2004 08:51 AM

Please respond to
platform-update-dev

platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[platform-update-dev] Link File Status

Link files still work, but we know the UI and the command API allow for the same end result.

Given the recent "deprecated" Q  I'll ask the same about link files.  Is there use in 3.0 supported but deprecated or just supported (implying it will be supported in 3.1).

I've not seen anything in the doc that suggested link file deprecation, in fact the "Product extensions" topic still highlights the use of the link file vs the command API, so that may indicate the answer.

I ask as I've been leaning toward telling other teams not to use the link file approach for new installers, as I thought you'd thought of it as deprecated....

Any guidance/attitude.

Pat McCarthy   --   Eclipse Platform Enablement (3ECA)
                           --   RTP, NC
                           --   (919 254-6231 / 8-444-6231 -- FAX 8-444-8169)
                           --   Internet: PatMc@xxxxxxxxxx
                           --   Lotus: Pat McCarthy/Raleigh/IBM

Back to the top