Re: [platform-update-dev] Are bad features supposed to configure?f

Pat, this work as expected:

1. you will not be able to install the feature using the Install Wizard. You don't mention this, but this should be the case. Please open a bug if you see a different behavior
2. adding a product extension means someone has already installed the features on that site, so the assumption is that the site is a valid site. In 3.0, features can be installed using the Update UI, standalone commands, or via API's. Anything else (like manually unzipping features, etc.) is tolerated, but is not guaranteed to work.
3. After you disable the feature with the missing pre-req, you cannot come back to this configuration using the update UI or API's because the correct checking is done (see above). You can come back to this config if you manually modify the appropriate files.

One can argue with the amount of checking performed when adding a site or when detecting features/plugins manually unzipped in a local site, but this mostly because of historical reasons. Before 3.0, there were no standalone command, no API's to install features (and check the appropriate constraints), so manual installation was the workaround to using the Update UI. With 3.0, the supported way is via UI/API/standalone commands.

-Dorian

Pat McCarthy <patmc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-update-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/09/2004 09:08 AM

Please respond to
platform-update-dev

platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[platform-update-dev] Are bad features supposed to configure?f

I've  been playing install games again... RC1 based this time around.

Q on what is right/wrong.

I have a bad feature (some would say all mine are bad).

This feature has a requires block:

  <requires>

     <import plugin="org.eclipse.ui.nothere"/>

  </requires>

I can add this feature to Eclipse without a problem. Either using a link file, or the Product Config dialog to add an extension.  Plugins in the feature get added/work.

Only when I try to disable the feature does the platform acknowledge that it is bad with a warning that I won't be able to return to this config state.

No visual clues, no error messages, no warning in status.

Is this right?  Expected?? The design???

Pat McCarthy   --   Eclipse Platform Enablement (3ECA)
                           --   RTP, NC
                           --   (919 254-6231 / 8-444-6231 -- FAX 8-444-8169)
                           --   Internet: PatMc@xxxxxxxxxx
                           --   Lotus: Pat McCarthy/Raleigh/IBM

Back to the top