[platform-update-dev] Re: Update Manager Installs - Forcing the Use of a New Site

Peter,

We are in no way trying to duplicate a native installer.  We are, however
(as I said) taking a hint or two from them.  It is foolish to ignore
lessons learned there.

There are specific usecases that occur in both worlds and the one we are
concerned about here is pretty fundamental:  Installing a new feature for
the first time.  Where do you put it?

The body of native installers have a compelling convention of offering a
default path suggested by the vendor that the user can choose to override.

This sort of thing is not a hack in any way.  This is an extremely
important feature as it directly impacts useability and serviceability.

I am definitely familiar with thinking of Eclipse as an applications
platform.  Are you familiar with what we are doing with it in our team?  If
not feel free to contact me off-list.

Cheers,

Mel

Dr. Mel Martinez