Re: [platform-update-dev] Optional features

The example is one of the reasons only one team controls most of the WSAD features. If changes are made to the features and an optional becomes a requirement of another optional we place addtional requires directly on the features needed.  This situation though is messy and makes the assumption that a plugin is owned by one and only one feature.  If features become more manifest like then requires between features won't even work correctly anyway and the situation on requiring optional features described won't occur. Of course then new problems get introduced :-)

Thanks,

-----------------------------------
Peter Manahan
WebSphere Tools
Build/Install and
Product Architecture
------------------------------------
manahan@xxxxxxxxxx

platform-update-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 10/12/2003 04:41:10 PM:

> We don't intend to drop the optional features (at least not yet),
> but need to understand the use cases and the problems they solve.
>
> For example, we can see an issue that optional features introduce:
>
> Assume feature A includes B and C, with C being optionally included
> and the user has installed only A and B.
> Now, if feature D requires A (becaues it needs plugins from A, B and
> C) and the user installs D, then D will not run because some
> dependencies are broken.
>
> In general, if a product is assembling other products, there may be
> a problem with optional features that are not installed. Perhaps we
> can introduce an optional override that forces all optional features
> to no longer be optional.
>
> -Dorian
>

> Elena Elisseeva/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
> Sent by: platform-update-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

> 12/10/2003 03:15 PM
>
> Please respond to
> platform-update-dev

> platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

> cc

> Subject

> Re: [platform-update-dev] Optional features

> From the updates/fixes point of view:
> Since we do have optional components we need to know somehow that
> this particular (optional) feature may be installed or may be not
> there (I think Peter mentioned that). So the update to that feature
> won't be installed if the feature itself not present. If you drop
> the optionals, is there other way to do that?
>
> Elena Elisseeva, Ph.D.
> WebSphere Studio Tools Fix/Update Lead
>
> "Cowardice is one of the worst of all human vices."
> M. Bulgakov "The Master and Margarita"

Back to the top