Re: [platform-update-dev] Non plug-in data that is part of a feature

Susan,

Your theory is correct: you must package the zip file SEPARATELY from the
feature archive and place it on the server as specified in the spec.

Here is the rational for it: features are meant to be small, easily
downloadable archives. They contain only the required  information to
present features in the UI and make computations like dependencies,
references etc. The actual data is packaged outside of the features.
Typically, the data is packaged as plug-in archives (one per plug-in). You
can create one or more non-plug-in archives that you place as specified.
These archives may be very large and we didn't want to have a design where
they make features large and very slow to download only to present them in
the UI.

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Platform Components
D2/MY7/8200/MKM
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
Fax. 905 413-4854

                      "Foster, Susan B"
                      <susan.b.foster@xxxxxxxxx>        To:       <platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                      Sent by:                          cc:
                      platform-update-dev-admin@        Subject:  Re: [platform-update-dev] Non plug-in data that is part of a feature
                      eclipse.org

                      06/18/2003 01:13 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-update-dev

Dejan,

I have the following in my feature.xml file:

 <data
         id="zipFiles/somefile.zip"
         download-size="0"
         install-size="0"/>

And I have the following in my feature's build.properties file:

bin.includes = feature.xml,\
               zipFiles/

And I have a features directory in my com.xyz.update.  When I create
com.xyz.feature_1.0.1\zipFiles\somefile.zip under that directory, the
update works fine.

If you export the same feature to a zip file instead of a JAR file, and
then unzip it into eclipse, the /zipFiles/somefile.zip is created
without any extra effort.  In _either_ case, the zipFiles directory is
in the archive, JAR or zip; when I when include the zipFiles directory
in the feature the resulting JAR file is 3987 Kb and when I don't
include it is 2 Kb

So you are saying that when you export the feature to a JAR file you
must then manually go into the  com.xyz.update/features directory and
create the directory structure and files there, as well as creating them
in the com.xyz.features project (which you need to do to incude them in
the feature)?  Isn't that inconsistent with the way you include non
source file in a plugin project (example icons that need to be available
to wizards and the like)?  If you have extra files in there that you
want to be in the resulting plugin you add them to the plugin's
build.properties file:

bin = icons/,\
      plugin.xml

and they are included in the feature without any extra effort on the
developer's part.

It would seem to me that you wouldn't want to have to do things
differently when you export a feature via zip file and JAR file.

Susan
email: susan.b.foster@xxxxxxxxx
phone: 480-552-0927