Re: [platform-update-dev] Non plug-in data that is part of a feature

Susan,

I checked the spec and it claims that you need to have the specified data
archive in the server as follows:

      <data> element results in a path entry in the form "
      features/<featureId>_<featureVersion>/<dataId> " (for example, "f
      eatures/com.xyz.tools_2.3.1/examples.zip")

The error you are getting is consistent with this spec. Do you have a
directory in 'features' on the update site called 'com.xyz.feature_1.0.1',
then a directory 'zipFiles' there, then somefile.zip in it? The data
archive is not supposed to be JARed inside the feature archive, it should
be zipped on its own and placed as specified above.

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Platform Components
D2/MY7/8200/MKM
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
Fax. 905 413-4854

                      "Foster, Susan B"
                      <susan.b.foster@xxxxxxxxx>        To:       <platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                      Sent by:                          cc:
                      platform-update-dev-admin@        Subject:  [platform-update-dev] Non plug-in data that is part of a feature
                      eclipse.org

                      06/17/2003 06:26 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-update-dev

I am trying to include some non-plug-in data in a feature.  When I
export the feature to a zip file and install it, it installs and I see
my non-plugin data in the default location (since I am using the
org.eclipse.update.core.DefaultInstallHandler as my handler).  However,
when I Export the feature as a JAR archive for the Update site, and
build the Update site I get the following error when I try to install:

Unable to complete action for feature "XYZ Feature" due to errors.
  Unable to retrieve remote reference
"file:E:/EclipseWorkspace/com.xyz.update/features/com.xyz.feature_1.0.1/
zipFiles/somefile.zip".
[E:\EclipseWorkspace\com.xyz.update\features\com.xyz.feature_1.0.1\zipFi
les\somefile.zip (The system cannot find the path specified)]

If I copy the directory and files myself, it works.  But they don't seem
to be extracted from the JAR files.  Any ideas?  I looked in the
documentation for something I might have missed in the site.xml.  I
don't have anything entered in the Archive Mappings - but quite frankly,
after reading the documentation, I don't know what it is supposed to do,
or what it might be realated to.

Susan
email: susan.b.foster@xxxxxxxxx
phone: 480-552-0927