Re: [platform-update-dev] Orphan plugins

I agree with Peter's suggestion to have everybody using features to deploy
their components, but the reality is that there are tons of plugins out
there that are not delivered via features. Check the over 300 plugins at
http://eclipse-plugins.2y.net/eclipse/index.jsp where you have a mix of
delivery mechanisms, some done properly using update sites, some are just
downloadable as a zipped plugin (and here, some include the 'plugins/'
directory, some not).

Fundamentally, the Eclipse runtime does not treat features as "first-class
citizens", so orphan plugins are perfectly acceptable. In fact, features
were added to Eclipse long after only plugins existed.  Unless the Eclipse
core forces all the plugins to be packaged in features, regardless on how
large products structure their features, developers will always install
3'rd party plugins, often by just unzipping them in the plugins directory.
For this, I think Update should take into consideration orphan plugins as
well, but present the user the appropriate information during feature
install/update and let the user decide whether to continue or not.

-Dorian

|---------+------------------------------------->
|         |           Peter                     |
|         |           Manahan/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA |
|         |           Sent by:                  |
|         |           platform-update-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org               |
|         |                                     |
|         |                                     |
|         |           06/04/2003 09:19 AM       |
|         |           Please respond to         |
|         |           platform-update-dev       |
|---------+------------------------------------->
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                             |
  |       cc:       platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, platform-update-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx                      |
  |       Subject:  Re: [platform-update-dev] Orphan plugins                                                    |
  |                                                                                                             |
  |                                                                                                             |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

The problem when checking orphan plugins for dependencies is that you have
no way to update them to the right level.   So if the dependency check
fails because they aren't correct you have no option to update them and the
install fails. This narrows down enormously the target eclipse
installations you can install into.

What is the behavior in the case where feature A provides plugin_a at
version 1.0.0 but an orphan plugin_a at version 1.1.0 exists. A new
feature B  that you are about to download requires plugin_a 1.0.0 with
match equivalent?  In this case plugin_a 1.1.0 is the current one running
and isn't owned by a feature. Which plugin is used in the dependency check.
I would hope it was the 1.0.0 one.

I suggest that the way around this is for the CDT to provide features for
their plugins just as eclipse, hyades,gef and emf do. I am surprised that
shipping features it isn't a requirement of being an eclipse hosted
project.

Thanks,

-----------------------------------
Peter Manahan
WebSphere Tools
Build/Install and
Product Architecture
------------------------------------
manahan@xxxxxxxxxx

    Dejan Glozic/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
    Sent by:                                To:
    platform-update-dev-admin@eclip platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
    se.org                                  cc:
                                            Subject:        Re:
                                    [platform-update-dev] Orphan plugins
    06/03/2003 05:51 PM
    Please respond to
    platform-update-dev

Susan, you are correct about the options. Update manager tolerates orphaned
plug-ins in that it passes them through to Eclipse run-time, but we are not
taking them into account when checking dependencies. I would invite
developers from products to comment on whether they would object to Eclipse
checking 'orphaned' plug-is for dependencies.

Our only concern is legal rather than technical. Orphaned plug-ins are
typically unzipped i.e. not installed professionally (although native
installers also move files outside Update Manager, they typically install
features, not only plug-ins, so we have no problem with that).

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Platform Components
D2/MY7/8200/MKM
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
Fax. 905 413-4854

                     "Foster, Susan B"

                     <susan.b.foster@xxxxxxxxx>        To:
<platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

                     Sent by:                          cc:

                     platform-update-dev-admin@        Subject:
[platform-update-dev] Orphan plugins

                     eclipse.org

                     06/03/2003 05:44 PM

                     Please respond to

                     platform-update-dev

I posted the following to the newsgroup:

> I am trying to add a plugin using the Update/Install Manager.  This
plugin
> requires some of the cdt plugins, among others.  When I create a
Feature
> the Required Features/ Plugins are calculated, and the Feature exports
ok.
>  I then have created an Update Site Project.  But when I try and
install
> it using the Update/Install Manager I get an error

Dorian replied:

>This is a known limitation in the UpdateManager. When required plug-ins
>validation is performed,
>only plug-ins owned by currently configured features are considered.
>Orphaned plug-ins (those that appear in the 'plugins' directory but are
not
>owned by any feature) are ignored.
>Feel free to discuss this on the platform update developer's mailing
list >if
>the current install behavior is undesireable.

The current install behavior mandates that to be updatable by the Update
Manager, a plugin must not be dependant on any orphan plugin - and at
this point that would mean that the cdt would not be updateable.

Is there some way to work around this limitation for the present?  It
appears that my two options are to create a Feature that owns the cdt
plugins, or to try to removed the dependence on the cdt plugings.

Susan
email: susan.b.foster@xxxxxxxxx
phone: 480-552-0927