[platform-update-dev] Running update headless?

All,

  Don't know if there's much traffic on this list,
but I'll try anyways.

  I'm interested in finding out whether or not it's
possible to run the update manager in a headless
mode.  Here's the general desire:

  - Create a special version of the Eclipse launcher,
    named update.exe
  - Configure update.exe to run a main() function in
    an ISV provided plugin
  - That main() function would be called with command
    line parameters listing the locations (on local
    media) of feature packages to install/update.
  - The plugin would then drive the update manager to
    install/upgrade features.  This might potentially
    include displaying dialogs or other UI elements
    that the end user can navigate in order to select
    which packages to install.

  Why do I  want to do this?  Well, I'd like to be able
to install a version of Eclipse that contains only the
core components, and then rely upon the update manager
to install any additional features (JDT, PDE, CDT,
vendor-specific features, etc.) that might be present
on an installation or upgrade CD.

  Doing this, only the core Eclipse installation needs
to be performed in a platform-specific manner.  The
installation or upgrade of additional components can be
handled by the update manager in a way that is consistent
with the Eclipse methodology.

  Thoughts?  Comments?

-Samrobb

Back to the top