Re: [platform-update-dev] Why does the -initialize option not initialize features with custom install handlers?

AFAIK,
The - initailize flag doesn't install features so your install handlers
would never get called. What it does is create the inital configuration for
the platform so when you run the first time you don't get the "initializing
eclipse" splash then the real splash.

 I would suggest that when presented with the dialog after eclipse restarts
with the pending changes dialog that running the install handler at that
point is actually a bug. If those files are already in the eclipse
directory then they are already installed even if you just unzipped them
there.

If you have custom install handlers then you need to install those into
eclipse using eclipse. We (wsad) abandoned that idea (although we wanted to
do it that way) once we realized that we would have to call eclipse in
headless mode with a custom application using API's that were not
finalized. (IE it was changing too much at the time).

Thanks,

-----------------------------------
Peter Manahan
WebSphere Tools
Build/Install and
Product Architecture
------------------------------------
manahan@xxxxxxxxxx

                      "Brooke Kuhlmann"
                      <Brooke_Kuhlmann@xxxxxxx>         To:       platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                          cc:
                      platform-update-dev-admin@        Subject:  [platform-update-dev] Why does the -initialize option not initialize features with
                      eclipse.org                        custom install handlers?

                      07/30/2002 03:32 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-update-dev

In previous postings there was mention that launching eclipse.exe with the
-initialize option would load features with custom install handlers.  In
my test environment I have a bunch of features with custom install
handlers but they do not get initialized.  The behavior seems to create a
workspace with the features loaded, no errors, and even a button for
disabling them but none of the custom install code run.  What I end up
having to do is:

1. Install a fresh eclipse base (with non of the custom features
installed).
2. Launch eclipse.exe to create a default workspace
3. Shutdown eclipse
4. Add the features with the custom installs into the features directory.
Note:  Each feature has the feature.xml and other files in addition to the
custom install handler jar file and it's corresponding data.jar file that
it needs to install.
5. Launch eclipse
6. Notice that you get a windows that asks if you want to accept pending
changes.  If you accept you will be able to install the features along
with the custom code correctly.

Why does the -initialize option not work and is there a way to initialize
eclipse for the user so that all features are loaded including features
that have custom install handlers?

-Brooke-