Re: [platform-update-dev] Change log for updates - is 5 levels enough?

I'd rather see a log size of  about 1000 for safety.  Keeping a more
permanent record of the log does will help support teams greatly for
products.There would be a history trail of what fixes or patches were laid
down etc.

Thanks,

-----------------------------------
Peter Manahan
WebSphere Tools
Build/Install and
Product Architecture
------------------------------------
manahan@xxxxxxxxxx

                    Pat
                    McCarthy/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS        To:     platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                    Sent by:                          cc:
                    platform-update-dev-admin@e       Subject:     [platform-update-dev] Change log for updates - is 5 levels enough?
                    clipse.org

                    06/05/2002 08:54 AM
                    Please respond to
                    platform-update-dev

Based on testing it looks like the change log kept by the Update Manager
remembers 5 changes.  We may need to consider increasing this
number or packaging changes differently.

I started/stopped a base workbench, added a feature link file and
started/stopped, added a 2nd feature link file and again started/stopped.

My change log file is full - any other mods and it will runeth over.
Content below based on the system summary (I've added the ----- for
visibility):
     Update Manager Log:

     Configuration=Jun 4, 2002 11:53:14 AM
     Current configuration=false

     Date=Tue Jun 04 11:53:15 EDT 2002
     Target=file:E:/Eclipse-int-06-02/eclipse/
     Action=Site installed
     Status=Success

     Date=Tue Jun 04 11:53:15 EDT 2002
     Target=
     file:E:/Eclipse-int-06-02/eclipse/.config/platform.cfg.metadata/LocalSite.xml

     Action=Reconcile
     Status=Success

     Configuration=Jun 4, 2002 11:56:02 AM
     Current configuration=false

     Date=Tue Jun 04 11:56:02 EDT 2002
     Target=file:e:/Eclipse-int-06-02/GEF/Runtime/eclipse/
     Action=Site installed
     Status=Success

     Date=Tue Jun 04 11:56:02 EDT 2002
     Target=file:E:/Eclipse-int-06-02/eclipse/
     Action=Site installed
     Status=Success

     Date=Tue Jun 04 11:56:03 EDT 2002
     Target=
     file:E:/Eclipse-int-06-02/eclipse/workspace/.metadata/.config/platform.cfg.metadata/LocalSite.xml

     Action=Reconcile
     Status=Success

     Configuration=Jun 4, 2002 11:56:35 AM
     Current configuration=false

     Date=Tue Jun 04 11:56:35 EDT 2002
     Target=com.ibm.etools.gef_2.0.0
     Action=Enabled
     Status=Success

     Configuration=Jun 4, 2002 11:59:11 AM
     Current configuration=false

     Date=Tue Jun 04 11:59:11 EDT 2002
     Target=file:e:/Eclipse-int-06-02/GEF/Runtime/eclipse/
     Action=Site installed
     Status=Success

     Date=Tue Jun 04 11:59:11 EDT 2002
     Target=file:e:/Eclipse-int-06-02/GEF/Examples/eclipse/
     Action=Site installed
     Status=Success

     Date=Tue Jun 04 11:59:11 EDT 2002
     Target=file:E:/Eclipse-int-06-02/eclipse/
     Action=Site installed
     Status=Success

     Date=Tue Jun 04 11:59:11 EDT 2002
     Target=
     file:E:/Eclipse-int-06-02/eclipse/workspace/.metadata/.config/platform.cfg.metadata/LocalSite.xml

     Action=Reconcile
     Status=Success

     Configuration=Jun 4, 2002 11:59:27 AM
     Current configuration=true

     Date=Tue Jun 04 11:59:27 EDT 2002
     Target=com.ibm.etools.gef.examples.logicdesigner_2.0.0
     Action=Enabled
     Status=Success

As soon as I maintain one of the linked (extension)features I loose
visibility to the first two actions.  This seems to be due to the two-pass
processing where each pass (install/reconcile and then enable) is a logged
event.

Can we consider either doubling the number of log entries or managing the
log such that an install/reconcile and then enable is one logged event?

Pat Mc.

Back to the top