[platform-update-dev] Native Install Issues

Hi-

I work on Eclipse for AIX, and we are examining the possibility of a native
installer for a few reasons:

	1) Version tracking
	2) Separation of essential/non-essential components
	3) Single read-only installation for multiple users

In examining #2, I have come up with the following distinct sets of files.  Any
thoughts on this approach would be appreciated:
	Eclipse Base - Core, Src
	Eclipse JDT - Core, Src
	Eclipse PDE - Core, Src
	Eclipse Docs - Base, JDT, PDE

I would also like to seperately package translatable message files.  What files
need to be included in this bundle?  My first impression included the following
candidates:
	eclipse/*feature.properties
	eclipse/*plugin.properties
	eclipse/*about.properties
	eclipse/manifest-files/buildmanifest_org.*feature.properties
	eclipse/*plugin.xml
	eclipse/*feature.xml

I have been pointed to the translation package for R1, but the Eclipse
structure has changed enough that the R1 list isn't sufficient.

From an install/update perspective, will Eclipse 2.0 be ready for multi-user
use of a single read-only install?  Has the functionality of the Primary
Feature idea already been implemented?

Also, what is the possibility of a UNIX-friendly default workspace location
for R2?  Something like $HOME/eclipse-workspace?  Bug 11992 references this
request.

Any thought on these issues would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance-
John

John Rose

Back to the top