Re: [platform-update-dev] Link files

The link support is in the builds, basically as described in the spec, with the following exceptions (spec needs to be updated):

(1) the location of the "links" directory is computed relative to the location of the platform configuration file. At this point the full configuration handling is not completed (ie. full support for the new -configuration argument), so by default, the configuration file is in <eclipse>/install/.metadata/ .... so <eclipse>/install/.metadata/links/ would be the default directory (the spec is missing the .metadata level)
(2) we will allow the native install to be optionally updatable. This is specified in the actual link entry. The spec defines the entry as
path=install-path[,install-path]*
where each install-path entry is a platform file path to another install directory (the parent directory of "plugins/" in the native tree). The code actually allows each path entry to be prefixed by "r" or "rw" to indicate if the directory is updateable by the Eclipse update functions (default is "r" ... not updateable).

For example:
path=c:\\root1\\,rw d:\\temp\\,r e:\\shared\\
results in c: and e: paths to be read-only, and d: r/w

Remember the file is a Java properties file ... so on Win must escape the path separators. The actual link files can be named anything you want ... the spec suggests plugin-id-like naming convention to minimize chance of conflict. The startup code processes all files found in links/

Please respond to platform-update-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

Sent by:        platform-update-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx